Welcome to Selma, Texas 78154
Selma is believed to be one of the many settlements along the Cibolo Creek founded by German pioneers. In 1849, the Harrison and McCulloch Stagecoach Stop was created to transport passengers and freight between the communities of central, south, and east Texas.
Following the establishment of the Stagecoach Stop, Selma opened its first post office in 1856, and as the population grew due to an influx of German and Polish immigrants, Selma added general stores, cotton gins, blacksmiths, a saloon, and a school. However, the post office was closed in 1906 and was replaced by rural delivery when the town population declined.
Located sixteen miles northeast of downtown San Antonio, the population in Selma was 100 in 1940 and since the city’s incorporation in 1964, Selma has seen tremendous growth as businesses along the Interstate 35 Austin / San Antonio corridor has developed. The city of Selma is located on the Old Austin Road, which is now Interstate 35. Selma, which covers approximately five square miles, is in three counties (Bexar, Comal, and Guadalupe) and today, has a population of more than 6,000.
In the town the population was spread out with 25.4% under the age of 18, 8.1% from 18 to 24, 24.9% from 25 to 44, 31.5% from 45 to 64, and 10.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years.
© 2001-2017 Reliance Network and RE/MAX of Texas.
All rights reserved. US Reg. Copyright TX-5-910-991, TX-5-910-992, TX-5-910-993, and TX-5-910-994.
Each RE/MAX® Office is Independently Owned and Operated. Equal Housing Opportunity. Texas Real Estate Commission Consumer Protection Notice Texas Real Estate Commission Form.